When the US went off the gold standard, our Allies, in exchange for coordinated military protection, began to prop up our dollar. As the US backs away from being the world's police leader, the dollar will lose its support.
Nations can be centrally ruled states or they can be federations with shared and overlapping controls between centralists and locals. Rome had many growing pains as it morphed from a republic to an empire. US citizens do not want to lose their republic. But other nations that help prop up our dollar want to have significant treaty-influence in our international politics.
I don't see how the US can back away from responsibilities to lead police actions. Isolationism is not an option in the interconnected world of economics and military defense. So how may the US keep its republic and not default on the role by which its currency is supported?
Must we move towards some loose world federation among friendly nations? If so, may we exclude or quarantine unfriendly, Commie, and Muslim nations? Maybe we should, but the crony insiders who receive bribes from Commie and Muslim nations will never allow that to happen voluntarily. Not without an Economic Patton. Did someone call for The Donald?
I do not necessarily advocate a return to a gold standard. That's just part of the background. Our main problem is crony advantage taking, that seems to lead inexorably to systemic failure. No matter how smart the formal solutions one may dream up, they will always be end run so long as there is no adequate moral check. Why do we lack any adequate moral check? For several reasons, among them:
1. We have lost any hope of assimilating values. Instead, we swallowed the lie that diversity in and of itself is a good thing. So we tend to be helpless to name evil, much less confront it.
2. Crony-commies have so infested every formal institution that most people are now easy prey for predators and parasites. Way too many Profs shill for and teach nonsense. Way too many Priests shill for and preach "values" that corrupt faith, family, and fidelity. Way too many economists and scientists are dupes or shills for hedge dealing billionaires. Hedgers have figured out how to make money no matter what the crisis, so long as the crisis can be pumped for hedging.
3. Do-gooders wrongly assumed the root cause of evil is the poverty and lack of sharing of material wealth in the world. So they decided tax redistributions should take over the charity function. This was completely contrary to all historical experience. Communist redistribution produces poverty and resentment, not wealth or gratitude. Welfare produces hoods and fatherless babies, not well nurtured families. Dithering with Muslims produces fevered jihadis. Celebration of paganists produces confusion, cynicism, and sadism.
4. Because of faux religion (pagan sectarian and commie secular), all religion is now ridiculed to the point that most people, especially young adults, now revile it. Even though an intelligent case for forums that inspire spiritual empathy can now probably be better made than ever before.
5. Too many hubristic scientists and economists think "pure reason" and unfiltered greed can guide our moral development, without reaching out to the Source of Spiritual empathy. They think altruism is a non-existent and that spiritual empathy is not innate to the cosmos. So they think elites should be put in charge politically, to force equality, fairness, and toleration. Thus, too many idiot judges and justices buy into politically forced "equality," "fairness," and "toleration" as trumps uber alles.
THE UPSHOT: Our economists, bankers, corporatists, politicians, judges, educators, actors, entertainers, rappers, ministers, and charitable foundations have us riding a bullet to destruction. The evil cronies among us will grease the way for that bullet, no matter what form any re-form may take. We are in a mess of trouble!
IOW, "Our leaders are stupid." -- DJT.
And corrupt. -- Me.